ALCOMEX IN A SUSTAINABLE ECONOMY
Global warming is a huge challenge for the world. The emission of greenhouse gases such as CO2 and methane needs to be reduced significantly in order to put a hold to climate change and the negative effects deriving from that. In the Paris Climate Agreement, 200 supporting countries committed to reduce global warming to a maximum of 2 °C, and preferably 1.5 °C. At Alcomex, we see this as an important topic on which we need to take our responsibilities, together with our stake holders.
The challenges of the energy transition offer opportunities to put Alcomex in a leading example role for the springs industry. We can succeed in this if we do not see the energy transition as the end of an industrial age, but as the start of a new and sustainable economy. We want to be part of this transition as we intrinsically believe that this is the right direction for all our stakeholders. And for our planet.
Evolutionary approach and goals to 2030:
We have taken an evolutionary step-by-step approach by integrating carbon reduction as a main part of the Alcomex strategy. Our goals are in line with those of the Paris Climate Agreement. We aim for an annual 5% CO2 footprint emission reduction for the Alcomex Group. We have defined the following steps in achieving these goals.
- How: Carbon neutrality is achieved by calculating the carbon footprint and reducing it through a combination of efficiency measures in-house and by supporting external emission reduction projects.
- Measure: Collect data for all subsidiaries and calculate the CO2 emissions.
- Define: Define which for which part of the business carbon neutrality is, over time, feasible.
- Target: Carbon reduction goals in line with the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Reduce: Deliver internal emission reductions – such as energy-efficiency programs.
- Communicate: Communicate to all stakeholders an authentic, clear and credible message.
Plans and actions:
Although our approach is evolutionary, we have already started in 2019 by mapping the Alcomex CO2 footprint for all our businesses in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Plans have been put in place to start the reduction of it.
Already done: planting trees!
The measuring of Alcomex CO2 emissions for 2019 has been done with the tools of the Climate Neutral Group. They have issued a ‘Progress Report’ for 2019, after which we have offset the 2019 CO2 emissions by planting 6.800 trees in Spain and Texas, in partnership with the Land Life Company (landlifecompany.com), an organization on a mission to restore two billion hectares of degraded land in the world by planting trees; turning CO2 into forests, retracting carbon from the atmosphere.
We realize that there is a lot to do and to achieve, but we are happy that, with the support of experts, we have started the Alcomex Climate Journey! Raising awareness, measure, target, improve and implement. We invite you to join us in making this new sustainable economy a reality!